This Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail is perfect for those who love bold flavors. It is spicy yet sweet, bubbly, and so refreshing. This mocktail was made for sipping and savoring on warm afternoons.
For other ginger beer mocktails, try my Apple Cider Mule Mocktail! And if you are looking for citrusy mocktails, try my Sunrise Mocktail Spritzer, Lemon Mojito Mocktail, or this Aperol Spritz Mocktail!
Why You’ll Love This Ginger Beer Mocktail Recipe
ONLY 4 INGREDIENTS AND EPIC FLAVOR: The base is spicy ginger beer with sweet grapefruit juice. Add a touch of fresh lime juice, plus tonic water for fizz, and you have the most refreshing and tastebud tantalizing mocktail. There is also included an option to use non alcohol spirits!
QUICK AND EASY: With this mocktail all you have to do is pour and stir. It requires no cocktail shaker or fancy bar equipment, and there is no particular way of adding the ingredients either.
MAKE FOR YOURSELF OR STIR UP A PITCHER for barbeques, parties, girl’s night, or any occasion where you want to wow with an alcohol free mocktail. It is great for those who can no longer drink alcohol due to health issues, the sober curious, expecting moms, even kids and teens!
What Is Ginger Beer? Does It Contain Alcohol?
Ginger Beer was originally made by fermenting ginger root, sugar, and water to make alcohol. Ginger Beers you find at the grocery store today do not typically contain any alcohol. Just double check what you buy if you are concerned. If it contains alcohol there will be an ABV (alcohol by volume) of 1 or more.
Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail Ingredients
4 simple ingredients is all you need to make this ginger beer mocktail.
- Grapefruit Juice: I used bottled grapefruit juice from Simply. Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice works great too!
- Ginger Beer: It has a spicier, sharp ginger flavor which makes it perfect for this mocktail. If you do not like a very strong ginger flavor you can use Ginger Ale in it’s place.
- Tonic Water: Amplifies the flavors and adds a light, bubbly sensation. Club soda or mineral water are great alternatives to tonic water.
- Fresh Lime Juice: Squeezed is always the best option here, bottled lime juice does not taste as good.
- Optional Garnishes: grapefruit slice, lime slice, candied ginger, or fresh mint leaves.
What Non Alcoholic Spirits Can I Add To A Ginger Beer Mocktail?
This Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail was inspired by the iconic Moscow mule. The difference is my recipe is alcohol free and doesn’t contain vodka. But guess what?! I found a few non alcoholic spirits which make this mocktail taste exactly like the real deal.
Add 2 ounces Arkay NA Vodka, it does a fabulous job at mimicking vodka. You can also use Strykk Not Vodka or even Seedlip Grove 42 a lot which is a citrus infused non alcoholic spirit. It does not mimic vodka but it tastes really good in this ginger beer mocktail.
- Copper Mugs: Since this is inspired by a Moscow Mule (which is traditional served in copper) I thought it was fitting. Copper is known to keep drinks super cold but, any drinkware works.
- Spoon/ Stirrer
- Cocktail Pins: To hold your garnish in place.
How To Make A Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail
This drink requires pouring, stirring, and sipping. It is that simple! See the recipe card below for complete details and instructions.
- FILL COPPER MUG halfway with ice cubes or crushed ice. If you want to avoid adding ice and a watered down cocktail, chill the ingredients ahead of time!
- POUR OVER the grapefruit juice, ginger beer, tonic water, and fresh lime juice.
- STIR EVERYTHING TOGETHER well.
- GARNISH with a grapefruit slice and candied ginger.
USE DIFFERENT JUICES by substituting the grapefruit for pineapple juice, lemon juice, apple cider, or cranberry juice.
ADD NON ALCOHOLIC SPIRITS. A Moscow mule typically contains vodka. Try adding 2 ounces Arkay NA Vodka or Strykk Not Vodka. Both make this ginger beer mocktail taste exactly an alcoholic mule.
SWEETEN IT UP by adding simple syrup, agave, honey or even maple syrup. Here are a few syrup recipes that would taste great in this, Cinnamon Simple Syrup, Vanilla Simple Syrup, Jalapeno Simple Syrup, or Cardamom Syrup.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Technically yes, although I do not recommend it. Ginger ale tends to have less ginger flavor and more sugar which is a great option if you do not like ginger. Ginger beer is preferred because it has a spicy and bold kick which makes ginger drinks even better.
The short answer is yes, but most kids do not like this at all. The intense and spicy taste of the ginger is typically too much for them. If you are wanting to make a version for kids you can always use ginger ale for theirs.
Looking For More Mocktails? Try These:
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail
- Copper Mugs
- Spoon or Stirrer
- Cocktail Pins
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- 2 ounces tonic water
- ½ lime; juiced
- 1 grapefruit slice; garnish
- 1 candied ginger; garnish (I use these)
- 2 ounces non alcoholic vodka; optional (Arkay NA Vodka or Strykk Not Vodka)
- Fill copper mug halfway with ice cubes or crushed ice.NOTE: Chill ingredients ahead of time and omit the ice.
- Add grapefruit juice, ginger beer, tonic water, fresh lime juice, and optional non alcoholic vodka.
- Stir until well combined.
- Garnish with grapefruit slice and cocktail pin of candied ginger.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
If you make my Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail recipe, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!
6 thoughts on “Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail”
This was a fabulous mocktail! It reminded me of my dad who was a big fan of ginger beer growing up. Thanks for the nostalgia. 🙂
This mocktail was so refreshing! I love grapefruit so I’ll be making this again for sure
Wow, was this so unique and flavorful! I’ll be making this all summer. SO refreshing!!
All of these flavors sound so tasty! I’m not a drinker so I love you have this recipe available for those looking for a alcohol-free drink. Thanks for sharing!
We had a BBQ last weekend and I wanted to offer a non-alcoholic drink option and tried these mocktails. They were more popular than the alcoholic cocktails I offered! Everyone loved them! These will be a must-have beverage at all our get-togethers from now on.
Addicted to this! I am a huge mule fan and was looking for a mocktail version and this is it! Absolutely love the grapefruit with the ginger beer!