Quick and easy Simple Syrup– all you need is sugar, water, and 5 minutes to make this popular sweetener. Use it in your mocktails, tea, and coffee.
Why You Need This Easy Homemade Simple Syrup
- Better than bottled – I know buying it may seem easier but I guarantee there is nothing like making your own. Plus it only takes 5 minutes which is way faster than driving to the store to get some.
- Only 2 ingredients – sugar and water, that’s it!
- Many uses and possibilities – Not only can it be used in everything from mocktails to cake to cold brew coffee to fruit salad and beyond! It can also be infused with various flavors like mint, cinnamon, and blueberry.
What is Simple Syrup?
Simple Syrup, also known as sugar syrup, is a sweetener made using water and sugar that is boiled together. It is used in a variety of ways, most commonly as a sweetener for mocktails, cocktails, teas, coffee, homemade lemonades, and sodas. It is also used to moisten cake layers, soak quick breads, glaze fruit tarts, to sweetened whipped cream, and even on fruit salads.
Rich Simple Syrup versus Simple Syrup
There are two ratios that can be used when making Simple Syrup: traditional and rich.
- Traditional Simple Syrup uses a 1:1 (equal parts) ratio of sugar and water. This is best used in beverages.
- Rich Simple Syrup uses a 2:1 ratio of sugar and water for a thicker, sweeter syrup. It is great for baking and food uses.
- Sugar: I use white, granulated sugar but other types can be used.
- Water: Tap, filtered, or bottled water works. Use what you prefer.
How To Make Easy Simple Syrup At Home
If you have 5 minutes, sugar, water, and a saucepan, you can make this Simple Syrup recipe! You cannot mess this up. Below is a short summary of the steps, the recipe card will have more details.
- Add equal parts sugar and water to a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture on medium, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved (do not let the mixture come to a boil).
- Cool the syrup to room temperature.
- Store in a glass jar or container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
PRO TIP: Freeze the simple syrup into cubes and then in a plastic bag. They will last up to a year in the freezer and double as an ice cube!
Ways To Use Simple Syrup
There are so many ways you can use this recipe, almost too many to count. But here are a few to inspire you!
- in mocktails and cocktails – whiskey sours, margaritas, mojitos, and more.
- to sweeten homemade lemonade, iced tea, and coffee.
- to moisten cakes and quick breads.
- in fruit salads for a bit of sweetness.
- to glaze fruit tarts.
- flavor homemade whipped cream with a splash of simple syrup
- as gifts for holidays
Use It In These Recipes
- Earl Grey Milk Tea (bubble tea)
- Margarita Mocktail – substitute the Jalapeno Simple Syrup for this one.
- Lemon Mojito Mocktail
- Espresso Martini Mocktail
- Cherry Matcha Refresher
- Strawberry Mojito Mocktail
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If stored properly (in an airtight container in the refrigerator) it can last for 1 month.
You would think 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water would make 1 cup of Simple Syrup but it actually makes 1 1/2 cups. This is because of the volume in the sugar as it boils down.
A great rule to follow is for every 1 cup add 1-2 tablespoons of Simple Syrup. Add 1 tablespoon first and then test your drink before adding more. Don’t add much more than 2 tablespoons or your drink will be super sugary and sweet.
Yes, most definitely! You can use cane sugar, brown sugar, allouse sugar, coconut sugar, honey, etc. Just keep in mind the flavor profile of the syrup will change depending on the type of sugar you use.
More Easy Simple Syrup Flavors You Might Enjoy
Simple Syrup can also be infused with various fruit, spices, and herbs to create a whole new flavor profile. Try some of these recipes:
- Cinnamon Simple Syrup
- Caramel Simple Syrup
- Vanilla Simple Syrup
- Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Jalapeno Simple Syrup
- Cardamom Syrup
- Grenadine (Pomegranate Simple Syrup)
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
Easy Simple Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- To a small saucepan add the sugar and water.
- Heat the mixture over medium and occasionally stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool to room temperature. Pour into an airtight glass jar or container and refrigerate for up to one month.
- Refrigerated in an airtight glass jar or container, up to one month.
- Freeze into cubes and then in a plastic bag, up to a year.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
If you make my Simple Syrup, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!