Grenadine is a bright red, sweet- tart, simple syrup. It is easy to make and all you need is pomegranate juice and sugar. It tastes great in mocktails, lemonades, and bubbly sodas.
This Grenadine syrup, or as I like to call it Pomegranate Simple Syrup, is a staple item on my bar cart. I love how it takes 10 minutes to make, lasts weeks (meaning lots of delicious mocktails), and the flavor is out of this world. Ditch the store bought grenadine and go for homemade. Let’s make it!
What is Grenadine?
Grenadine is a pomegranate simple syrup made using equal parts pomegranate juice and sugar. In fact, the word grenadine comes from the French translation grenade, which means pomegranate.
A lot of people think it is made with cherry juice, but it is pomegranate. This misconception came from the popular Shirley Temple and because it was garnished with a cherry many thought that was the fruit flavor in it.
Ingredients (and a few notes)
- Pomegranate Juice: Make sure you are using 100%, sugar free pomegranate juice. I like to use POM Wonderful.
- Sugar: You can use either granular or cane sugar. I use whatever I have on hand at the time.
How to Make Grenadine Syrup
- Add the pomegranate juice and sugar to a small saucepan.
- Heat the mixture on medium, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved (do not let the mixture come to a boil).
- Cool the pomegranate simple syrup to room temperature.
- Pour into an airtight glass jar or container.
- Refrigerate it for up to three months.
PRO TIP: Freeze the pomegranate simple syrup into cubes and in a plastic bag. They will last up to a year in the freezer and double as an ice cube!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Why would I make my own when its cheap to buy at the store? Most bottled grenadines you find at the grocery store do not even contain pomegranate juice. They are filled with artificial flavors, high fructose corn syrup, dyes, and preservatives that are not good for us.
How much grenadine should I use in my drink? A great rule to follow is for every 1 cup add 1-2 tablespoons of grenadine. Add 1 tablespoon first and then test your drink before adding more. Don’t add much more than 2 tablespoons or your drink will be super sugary and sweet.
Grenadine Syrup Mocktails You Have To Try
- Refreshing Sunrise Mocktail Spritzer. It looks exactly like a sunrise! There are beautiful layers of grenadine, orange juice, and pineapple soda in it.
- Make a simple Shirley Temple. All you need is 1-2 tablespoons of grenadine, 2 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, and top off your glass with ginger ale. Or you can follow this recipe: Shirley Temple Drink.
- Jazz up your sparkling water or lemonades by adding a tablespoon of the grenadine.
More Drink Recipes You May Like:
- Blue Lagoon Mocktail
- Lemon Mojito Mocktail
- Grapefruit Ginger Beer Mocktail
- Pina Colada Mocktail
- Spicy Jalapeno Margarita Mocktail
- Guava Lemonade Fizz
- Strawberry Mojito Mocktail
- Apple Cider Mule Mocktail
- Lavender Coconut Lemonade
More Simple Syrup Recipes:
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to subscribe to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
Grenadine (Pomegranate Simple Syrup)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice; sugar free, 100% juice like POM Wonderful
- 1 cup sugar; granular or cane
- To a small saucepan add the pomegranate juice and sugar.
- Heat the mixture over medium and occasionally stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Pour into an airtight glass jar or container and refrigerate.
- Refrigerated in an airtight glass jar or container, up to three months.
- Freeze into cubes and then in a plastic bag, up to a year.
If you make my Grenadine (Pomegranate Simple Syrup), don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!