Let me teach you how to make a refreshing paloma and help you choose the tequila that is right for you (I review 3 different non alcoholic options below).
What is a Paloma?
The Paloma is a Mexican cocktail made with tequila, lime juice, and grapefruit soda. It is close cousins to the Margarita which has orange liqueur instead of grapefruit soda. The paloma is tart and sweet with floral notes from the grapefruit.
My recipe is the non alcoholic mocktail version. It swaps the tequila for non alcoholic tequila and the grapefruit soda for freshly squeezed juice and club soda. I also add agave syrup to really amp up the classic paloma flavors. It is authentic in flavor and a perfectly balanced mocktail. You’ll also love how…
Paloma Mocktail Ingredients
Here’s what you will need to make a non alcoholic paloma. Each ingredient includes notes and recommended substitutions.
- Glassware: Palomas are typically served in highball glasses but I use low ball glasses for mine. Really you can serve it in any type of glass you prefer.
- Citrus Juicer: This makes hand juicing the grapefruit and lime so much easier. I recommend using a large handled juicer over handheld (grapefruits won’t fit in the small juicers).
- Spoon/ Stirrer: I use long handled metal ones, like these.
- Cocktail Pins: I use these to hold garnishes in place.
How to Make a Paloma Mocktail
1. RUB THE GLASS with a lime wedge and immediately roll the rim in flaky salt.
2. POUR in non alcoholic tequila, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, lime juice, and light agave syrup. Give it a light stir before adding ice to the glass.
3. TOP IT OFF with club soda.
4. GARNISH with a grapefruit slice and lime slice.
What Is The Best Non Alcoholic Tequila?
If you are new to zero proof tequila, have no fear! I have tested quite a few and narrowed it down to my favorite three brands.
Keep in mind, all zero proof spirits are unique and some will taste better than others depending on your taste preferences. These are my honest recommendations and opinions, in no particular order.
1. Lyre’s Agave Blanco Spirit. It’s light and bright with citrus and agave notes. It has the peppery finish you get from alcohol, without being overwhelming on the tongue. It’s only 3 calories per serving, vegan, and allergen free.
2. Free Spirit’s Tequila. If you love mezcal, this one’s for you! It is on the smoky side with notes of agave, smoke, and dark oak. It does have vitamins B3 and B6 for energy, is naturally gluten free, and only 10 calories per serving.
3. Rital Zero Proof Tequila Alternative. This one is balance of the two above. It is citrusy and smokey with the peppery finish. It is 0 calories per serving, and the least expensive non alcoholic tequila I have found.
Not ready for zero proof tequila alternatives? No problem, just leave it out! This Paloma Mocktail tastes great without non alcoholic tequila.
Mixology Tips for the BEST Paloma Mocktail
Make a pitcher of palomas for a crowd. Easily scale this recipe to as many servings as you would like. This mocktail is great for bridal showers, birthdays, baby showers, Cinco de Mayo, or whenever.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
More Citrus Mocktail Recipes You Might Like:
- 2 ounce non alcoholic tequila - I use Lyre's Agave Blanco Spirit (more recommendations below)
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice - about 1 grapefruit, freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce lime juice - about half a lime, freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce light agave syrup
- 2 ounces club soda
- grapefruit slice - optional garnish
- lime slice - optional garnish
- flaky sea salt - optional rim garnish
- Rub the rim of a lowball glass with a lime wedge and immediately dip it in a small plate of flaky sea salt.
- Add non alcoholic tequila, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, lime juice, and light agave syrup. Stir together gently.
- Add ice and top it off with tonic water.
- Garnish with a grapefruit and lime slice.
Options for Non Alcoholic Tequila:
- Lyre’s Agave Blanco Spirit. A light and bright option with citrus, agave, and a peppery finish. It’s only 3 calories per serving, vegan, and allergen free.
- Free Spirit’s Tequila. Smoky with notes of agave and dark oak. It has vitamins B3 and B6 for energy, is gluten free, and 10 calories per serving.
- Rital Zero Proof Tequila Alternative. This one is balance of the two above. It is citrusy, smokey with a peppery finish. It is 0 calories and the least expensive.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.