These Coconut Rice Krispie Treats are thick, gooey dessert bars filled with marshmallows, sweetened coconut flakes, and crispy, crunchy cereal. This classic recipe with a tasty twist will be making memories for generations to come.
More Reasons to LOVE These Coconut Rice Krispie Treats…
Coconut Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
Read below for notes on each ingredient and potential substitutions.
- Large Pot: I use my 5.5 quart Dutch oven. Any similar sized pot will work.
- Silicone Spatula: The best option for mixing and pressing these sticky marshmallow-ey treats.
- 9×13 Baking Pan: Always line your pan with waxed paper or parchment paper greased with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
How to Make Coconut Rice Krispie Treats
1. Prep a 13×9 baking pan with parchment paper and nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter and marshmallows over medium heat until smooth.
3. Fold in the sweetened shredded coconut, Rice Krispies cereal, and additional mini marshmallows.
4. Lightly press mixture into prepared pan and top with additional sweetened coconut flakes.
5. Set Coconut Rice Krispie Treats at room temperature for an hour before cutting into equal squares and serving.
The best way to store Coconut Rice Krispie Treats is in pre-cut squares and in an airtight container. Just place layers of wax paper between the rice krispie treats to keep them from sticking together.
At room temperature they will last up to 3 days. Honestly, if they last that long I’d be shocked! You can also freeze them for up to 6 weeks, thaw them at room temperature prior to serving. I do not recommend refrigerating Coconut Rice Krispies because they tend to dry out.
Fun Variations For Even BETTER Coconut Rice Krispies
Substitute mini marshmallows for a jar (7 ounces) of marshmallow creme. You can also use jumbo marshmallows that have been cut into 4 smaller pieces.
Use other types of cereal: Chocolate Rice Krispies, gluten free toasted rice cereal, Fruity Pebbles, Corn Pops, Froot Loops, Cheerios… you name it. Just think of flavors that go with coconut when you are choosing.
Dip or drizzle them with melted chocolate or caramel. You can even add toasted coconut or fun sprinkles for festivity.
Frequently Asked Questions
More Dessert Bars You Might Enjoy:
Coconut Rice Krispie Treats
- large pot I use my 5.5 quart Dutch oven
- Silicone Spatula
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- parchment paper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 cups mini marshmallows***
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal; or other toasted rice cereal
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups mini marshmallows***; additional for folding in whole
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut; additional for topping
- Prepare a 13×9 baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment paper with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the mini marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Immediately fold in the sweetened shredded coconut and Rice Krispies cereal. Make sure everything is well coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Add in the additional mini marshmallows and fold until incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish. Gently spread the mixture into the pan using a lightly greased silicone spatula. NOTE: Lightly press mixture into the pan, do not pack them down with force.
- Immediately sprinkle additional sweetened shredded coconut over the top of the Coconut Rice Krispie Treats.
- Allow them to sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour to set.NOTE: If they will be left out for more than an hour, I recommend covering tightly to prevent them from drying out.
- Lift the parchment paper and Coconut Rice Krispie Treats from the pan. Cut into desired amount of squares (I recommend 12) and serve or store.
- At room temperature, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
- Frozen, in an airtight container, for up to 6 weeks. Thaw at room temperature prior to serving.
- Refrigerating is not recommended.
- Substitute mini marshmallows for a jar (7 ounces) of marshmallow creme.
- Use other types of cereal: Chocolate Rice Krispies, gluten free toasted rice cereal, Fruity Pebbles, Corn Pops, Froot Loops, Cheerios… you name it. Just think of flavors that go with coconut when you are choosing.
- Dip or drizzle them with melted chocolate or caramel.
- Top with lightly toasted coconut or fun sprinkles for festivity.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.