This Smoked Cheez Its recipe is easy to make, addictive, and versatile. They are crackers coated in butter and worcestershire sauce, then tossed in seasoning, and smoked to perfection. They are the perfect snack for parties, tailgating, or movie night.
My dad and I have been completely obsessed with the smoker lately. We have been smoking everything from cauliflower to chicken to cheeses, and everything in between. But I got to say, this is by far our favorite snack we have smoked so I had to share it with you. It adds the best smokey flavor to the Cheez Its.
Why You’ll Love This Smoked Cheez It Crackers Recipe
- Oh so easy. There is literally nothing complicated about this recipe. Throw the ingredients together in an aluminum pan and then smoke. That’s all.
- Addicting flavor. Our family is obsessed with Cheez Its in general, but these are on a completely different level: smoky, salty, and spicy.
- Endless possibilities. This recipe is so easy to make your own, you can have a completely different snack every time you make them. Use any flavor Cheez Its and seasoning you want.
Ingredients For Smoked Cheez Its
- Cheez It Crackers: I stick with traditional Cheez Its for this recipe. The only ones I do not recommend are the Extra Toasty because they will get a little too toasty, if you know what I mean.
- Butter: This is what sticks your seasoning to the Cheez Its and keeps them from drying out. Some recipes call for olive oil but I like them with butter much butter.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds an additional layer of flavor.
- Seasoning: I used a mix of lemon pepper seasoning with red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Feel free to use whatever you like (I have recommendations below).
How To Make Smoked Cheez Its
This is a short summary of the steps, the recipe card below will have more details.
- Heat smoker to 200° F.
- Mix together the Cheez Its, melted butter, worcestershire sauce, and seasoning in a large bowl.
- Pour into an aluminum baking pan.
- Smoke the Cheez Its for around 2 hours.
- Cool completely before serving and snacking!
How to Store Smoked Cheez Its
Once your Smoked Cheez Its are completely cooled, transfer them to an airtight container or gallon ziploc bag. You will want to store them in a cool, dry place and they will keep for up to two weeks.
What Spices Do You Use On Smoked Cheez Its?
The possibilities are endless and there is really no right or wrong way to seasoning the Cheez Its, it is all up to taste preference. I recommend making multiple batches and testing them to see which ones your crew loves the most. Here are some suggestions:
- Ranch: Just use a 1 ounce packet of Ranch seasoning.
- Taco: Use a 1 ounce packet of Taco Seasoning.
- BBQ: Try it with your favorite BBQ seasoning mixes.
- Chili: Grab a 1 ounce Chili seasoning mix packet to use.
- Everything Bagel: Add a combination of Everything Bagel Seasoning, garlic powder, and salt.
What Kind of Pellets Should I Use For Smoking Cheez Its?
For this recipe I used a mixture of Apple and Competition Blend pellets by Pit Boss. I honestly think any flavor pellets would work well: mesquite, cherry, hickory, maple, or a combination. Every pellet has a different flavor and smoke strength, so just play around with it until you find your favorites.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Of course! Just bake the Cheez Its in the oven (200° F for two hours, stirring every 20 minutes, the same as if you were smoking them). You can add a half teaspoon of liquid smoke to the butter and worcestershire sauce before adding it to the Cheez Its to give some of the smoke flavor that would be lacking.
YES! I like using the White Cheddar Cheez Its mixed with Ranch seasoning. You can also use Cheddar Jack, reduced fat variety, etc. I just do not recommend the Extra Toasty Cheez Its because they tend to get a little too toasty.
No, not unless you want soggy Cheez Its.
More Appetizer Snack Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Dunkaroo Dip
- Strawberry Crunch Topping
- Ricotta Dip with Roasted Grapes
- Lemon Feta Fries
- Fried Dill Pickle Dip
- Loaded Churro Popcorn
- Buffalo Crab Dip
- Loaded Fall Harvest Popcorn
- Maple Pumpkin Fruit Dip
- Feta and Onion Hot Dip
More Smoker Recipes You Might Like:
- Smoked Baked Beans
- Smoked Hot Dogs
- Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Smoked Queso Dip
- Smoked Cream Cheese
- Smoked Pork Butt
- Smoked Peach Cobbler
- Smoked Whiskey Sour Mocktail
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
Smoked Cheez Its
- Smoker; I use a Pit Boss Vertical Smoker
- 1 box Cheez Its
- 5 tablespoons butter; melted
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons seasoning; ideas below
- Preheat smoker to 200° F.
- In a large bowl combine the Cheez Its, melted butter, worcestershire sauce, and seasoning.
- Pour the seasoned Cheez Its into an aluminum pan.
- Smoke for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove the Smoked Cheez Its from the smoker and allow them to cool completely before enjoying.
Smoked Cheez Its Seasoning Ideas:
- I used 2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1 ounce packet of Ranch seasoning
- 1 ounce packet of Taco Seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons of BBQ seasoning mix.
- 1 ounce Chili seasoning mix packet
- 1 tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to two weeks.
Instructions for Baking in the Oven:
- Follow the directions exactly the same, as if you were smoking them. Bake at 200° F for two hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
If you make my Smoked Cheez Its recipe, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!
5 thoughts on “Smoked Cheez Its”
What a great idea! Wow – these are totally addictive, will be making these all summer long.
Amazing!! My kids love the extra toasty cheezits so I made this smoke version with the toasty ones and they loved them! What a great variation!
These crackers are just perfect with a glass of red wine. Very crunchy and delicious.
This was such a fun snack for the kids! The added flavor from the smoker was incredible.
OMG my kids wouldn’t stop eating them. They loved it so much, and so I. Definitely will make this again for my son’s birthday the next week. That was his special request. Thanks x