This Caramel Affogato is indulgent, requires very little time to make, and combines the best things: espresso, gelato, and caramel! Did I mention this recipe includes an easy, five minute, microwave caramel sauce! It is the rich and delicious topping you never knew you needed!
What is Affogato?
The word Affogato is Italian for drowned, which is exactly what I want to be. Drowned in all this creamy, caramel, coffee deliciousness!
Affogato is an Italian dessert with traditionally only two ingredients: cold gelato and hot espresso. I spiced it up a bit by adding a 5 minute microwave caramel sauce and roasted chopped pecans.
Caramel Affogato Ingredients
- Vanilla Gelato: can be subbed out for another complimenting flavor of gelato or vanilla ice cream
- Five Minute Microwave Caramel Sauce
- dark brown sugar
- heavy whipping cream
- salt (optional if you want salted caramel sauce)
- Hot Espresso: strongly brewed coffee can be used in it’s place
- Roasted Pecans
How To Make 5 Minute Microwave Caramel Sauce
A few notes, the caramel sauce will be thin at first but refrigerating it will firm it up. This caramel sauce is also not as smooth as traditional caramel sauce because of how it is prepared. But who cares when you’re in a pinch and it tastes just as delicious!
Who knew caramel sauce could be this easy?!
In your glass measuring cup add the butter (in chunks), dark brown sugar, and heavy whipping cream. No need to stir it at this point. Throw it in the microwave for two minutes.
TIP: Use a glass measuring cup or bowl that is larger than what you think you need. As the caramel heats up it can boil over, you don’t want that mess!
Remove the mixture from the microwave and whisk until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Once it is, put it back in the microwave for another two minutes.
Take it out of the microwave and add your vanilla and salt. Whisk the caramel for two to three minutes. Pour into a glass jar or container and refrigerate.
How to Make Caramel Affogato
Here is the even easier part! Scoop your gelato into a bowl or cup. Top with two tablespoons of your caramel sauce, or more because it is your prerogative. Pour over your warm espresso and watch it melt and swirl together. Sprinkle on your roasted, chopped pecans and enjoy immediately.
More Toppings and Flavor Combinations
- chocolate chips or shavings
- vanilla cinnamon gelato
- Liquors like Kahlua or Baileys
- chopped hazelnuts
- chocolate gelato
- crushed graham cracker
- chocolate chip gelato
Looking For More Easy and Delicious Desserts?
- Biscoff Milkshake
- Butterscotch Milkshake
- Nutella Milkshake
- Marshmallow Pumpkin Milkshake
- Caramel Milk Tea
- Loaded Churro Popcorn
- Dunkaroo Dip
- Loaded Fall Harvest Popcorn
- Maple Pumpkin Fruit Dip
- Loaded Leprechaun Popcorn
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
- 2 scoops vanilla gelato; or ice cream
- 2 tablespoons caramel
- ¾ cup espresso; hot
- 1 tablespoon roasted pecans; chopped
Microwave Caramel Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt; optional for salted caramel
- Using an ice cream scooper to add the vanilla gelato to a bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of microwave caramel sauce.
- Pour the hot espresso over and top with roasted pecans. Serve immediately.
5 Minute Microwave Caramel Sauce
- In a large glass measuring cup combine the butter, dark brown sugar, and heavy whipping cream.
- Microwave for 2 minute. Remove and stir until the caramel is smooth.
- Microwave for 2 more minute. Remove and whisk in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Whisk for 2 minutes and place in a glass container.
- Refrigerate until it reaches the desired consistency or use immediately.
- Store in an air-tight glass container for up to one month.
- To reheat the caramel sauce you will want to remove the lid and heat in it’s glass container. Microwave for 10 to 25 seconds depending on the consistency you are looking for.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
If you make my Caramel Affogato, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!
5 thoughts on “Caramel Affogato”
Girl, you speak my language! As a coffee addict, all I need to see is an easy recipe like this! Thaaaaaank you!!!! The best things in life are Italian, I totally agree:))
such a wonderful dessert and love your mug!
Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!
Devine and so easy to make. Love with each bite,
Thank you for sharing
I adore affogato, and order it when I can. But your version is over the top fabulous with the caramel sauce that can be made in the microwave!!!