You are going to love this easy, creamy, and indulgent Butterscotch Milkshake. It is made with ice cream, milk, and homemade butterscotch. Top it with whipped cream, butterscotch chips, and a drizzle of butterscotch sauce… The perfect treat for your sweet tooth!
Why This Will Become Your Go-To Butterscotch Milkshake Recipe
- There is a homemade butterscotch sauce recipe included. Don’t worry, the method is simple and it takes only minutes to make.
- It takes 5 minutes to make, 15 minutes if you make the homemade butterscotch sauce.
- Simple ingredients with A LOT of flavor! Need I say more…
What Does Butterscotch Taste Like?
Butterscotch is a combination of caramelized sugar, molasses, and nutty browned butter flavors. It has the same consistency and color as caramel, I call it caramel’s cousin. This recipe uses unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, corn syrup, and heavy cream. It is a simple method with no candy thermometers (which I love).
Ingredients for the BEST Butterscotch Milkshake
This recipe has 3 simple ingredients … with a few fun garnishes of course! I also give you a recipe for homemade butterscotch sauce (it is so much tastier than store bought.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: I have a weakness for vanilla bean ice cream so that is what I use. Any vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt, or gelato works.
- Milk: I use full fat but any type of milk will work, almond milk, 2%, oatmilk, etc. Just remember the more the fat content in your milk the better, it makes your milkshake super creamy.
- Butterscotch Sauce: Use my recipe below or feel free to use store bought.
- For the homemade butterscotch sauce you will need unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, corn syrup, and heavy cream.
- Optional Garnishes: I used whipped cream and butterscotch chips.
How To Make A Butterscotch Milkshake At Home
This is a short overview of the steps, the recipe card will have more detailed information.
- Drizzle butterscotch sauce on the inside of your milkshake glass (freeze it while you make your milkshake).
- Add the ice cream, milk, and butterscotch sauce to your blender.
- Blend until everything is smooth and incorporated.
- Pour into two glasses.
- Garnish with whipped cream and more butterscotch sauce.
PRO TIP: If you do not have a blender you can use this method: allow the ice cream to soften in a large jar (or microwave it for a few seconds until it is softened). Add the milk and butterscotch sauce, then shake until smooth and combined.
How To Make Homemade Butterscotch Sauce
- Melt together the unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in the heavy whipping cream.
- Slightly cool the sauce before pouring into a glass jar or airtight container.
STORING INFORMATION: Butterscotch Sauce should be kept in the refrigerator, in an airtight container or jar, for up to 2 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Butterscotch is made using brown sugar and butter while caramel uses granulated sugar. This small difference makes such a huge impact on the flavor. Butterscotch tends to be a more deep and rich sauce in comparison to caramel.
Just add more ice cream, one scoop at a time. You can also pop it into the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes. In the event your milkshake is too thick, just add a tablespoon or two of milk.
I do not recommend it, these are best served immediately. Feel free to prep the ingredients ahead of time (scoop the ice cream, portion out the butterscotch sauce, and milk).
Of course! Just substitute the butterscotch sauce for caramel and you will have a super delicious caramel milkshake!
More Milkshakes and Frozen Drink Recipe You Might Enjoy:
- Biscoff Milkshake
- Nutella Milkshake
- Marshmallow Pumpkin Milkshake
- Caramel Affogato
- Apple Cider Slush
- Watermelon Lime Slush
- Strawberry Daiquiri Mocktail
- Pina Colada Mocktail
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1 ½ cups vanilla ice cream; about 5 scoops
- ½ cup full fat milk
- ¼ cup butterscotch sauce; plus more for drizzling
- whipped cream; for topping the milkshakes
- butterscotch chips
Homemade Butterscotch Sauce
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Drizzle butterscotch sauce on the inside of a milkshake glass or other drinking glass. Place it in the freezer.
- To a blender add the ice cream, milk, and butterscotch sauce.
- Blend until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Remove glass from the freezer, pour the milkshake in it and garnish with whipped cream, butterscotch chips, and even more butterscotch sauce.
Homemade Butterscotch Sauce
- In a saucepan, melt together the unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the heavy whipping cream.
- Allow the sauce to slightly cool before pouring into a glass jar or airtight container.
Homemade Butterscotch Sauce Storing Information:
- Refrigerated, in an airtight container, for up to two weeks.
No Blender? No Problem! Use this method:
- Allow the ice cream to soften in a large jar (or microwave it for a few seconds until it is softened). Add the milk and butterscotch sauce, then shake until smooth and combined
Troubleshooting Your Milkshake:
- If it is too thick: Add a tablespoon more of milk and blend.
- If it is too thin: Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and blend.
- If you want more butterscotch flavor: Add a tablespoon more of butterscotch sauce and blend.
If you make my Butterscotch Milkshake, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!