Chicken wings are all all time favorite in our house, especially during football season. I am happy because they are easy to make and double as dinner. Oh and did I mention they are baked?! This means no frying in messy oil, less calories and fat, and they come out crispy every single time.
Why You’ll LOVE These Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
A Quick Video Tutorial:
Ingredients for Salt and Pepper Wings
- Chicken Wings tossed in;
- baking powder
- black pepper
- Wing Sauce;
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- Chinese 5 spice
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- chopped green scallions
How to Make Salt and Pepper Wings
Prep the chicken wings. Allow them to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes and then dry the wings with paper towel.
Toss the chicken wings in flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Place them on a rack lined baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake the seasoned wings for 30 minutes.
Whisk together the wing sauce: olive oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, Chinese 5 spice, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and chopped scallions.
Coat the baked chicken wings in your sauce. Place them back on the baking sheet.
Bake for 10 more minutes and allow them to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
4 Helpful Tips for Crispy Chicken Wings
- Always allow your wings to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. This gives them a consistent, even bake, and ensures there are no random cold spots in your wings.
- Make sure you pat dry your chicken wings before coating them in the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Extra moisture prevents browning and crisping which nobody wants in a chicken wing.
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil and then place a wire rack on top. This keeps the chicken wings elevated off the baking sheet giving your wings an even cook and crispier wings.
- If your wings aren’t as crispy as you would like, broil them for 1 to 2 minutes. Just keep an eye on them because they can burn very quickly.
What To Serve With Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
As an appetizer:
- Fresh veggies
- other varieties of chicken wings: Honey Lemon Pepper Wings, Garlic Butter Parmesan Wings
- Smoked Cheez Its
- Chicken Lime Taquitos
As dinner or your main meal:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
More Chicken and Wing Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Salt and Pepper Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings; at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup green scallions; plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450° F and prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire rack on top of the aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Pat dry the chicken wings and toss in all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Place seasoned chicken wings on the rack lined baking sheet, in a single layer with space between them.
- Bake the wings for 15 minutes and then reduce oven to 425° F and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
- While the wings bake, in a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, Chinese 5 spice, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, and green scallions.
- Remove the baked chicken wings from the rack lined baking sheet and toss them in the wing sauce.
- Place the wings back on the rack lined baking sheet and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the Salt and Pepper Wings from the oven and allow them to rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with more scallions and serve.
- In the refrigerator, covered and in an airtight container, for up to 4 days.
Tips for Crispy Chicken Wings
- Always allow your wings to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Make sure you pat dry your chicken wings before coating them in the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil and then place a wire rack on top.
- If your wings aren’t as crispy as you would like, broil them for 1 to 2 minutes.