This easy Chocolate Milk Tea is sweet, chocolatey, creamy, and so delicious! It is made using 3 simple ingredients- black tea, hot cocoa mix, and half and half. Feel free to drink it hot or cold and with or without chewy boba.
What is Chocolate Milk Tea?
Chocolate Milk Tea is a lightly caffeinated drink made with black tea, half and half, and dry hot cocoa mix. It tastes like milk tea and hot chocolate had a baby!
This recipe can be made hot or cold and with or without boba. If you don’t know, boba are tapioca pearls made from cassava flour. On their own they have no flavor but once they are steeped in the black tea and hot cocoa, they take on a rich chocolatey flavor. Milk tea with boba is called bubble tea.
Watch Me Make Chocolate Bubble Tea:
Ingredients in Chocolate Milk Tea
This recipe is only 4 simple ingredients, 5 if you include boiling water. Below are a few notes about the ingredients. Just make sure you are using high quality ingredients or the flavor will lack.
- Black Tea (steeped in boiling water): This recipe uses 1 tea bag, but if you would like a stronger flavor use 2. You can also use loose black tea in this recipe if you have it.
- Dry Hot Cocoa Mix: This adds sweetness and that indulgent hot cocoa flavor to the milk tea. I use the Starbucks brand but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Half and Half: This is traditional for milk tea for creaminess. Feel free to substitute it for any milk to fit your needs.
- Boba (optional): I recommend using quick cook boba. They require less time and effort to make which is great when you are craving boba milk tea.
How To Make Chocolate Milk Tea
Here are the abbreviated directions, the recipe card below will have more details. The directions are for hot chocolate milk tea, chocolate bubble tea, and chocolate boba tea.
Made Cold (with optional Boba):
- Steep the black tea for 5 to 7 minutes (any longer your tea will become bitter).
- Cool the tea to room temperature. Don’t skip this step, warm tea curdles the milk… gross!
- Make the boba as specified on the package and then soak them in a hot chocolate tea mixture. This step is optional by the way.
- To a glass add the hot cocoa and half and half, use a milk frother to whip it together.
- To a separate glass add the optional boba, ice, cooled black tea, and chocolate milk mixture.
- Stir well with a boba straw.
- Steep the black tea for 5 to 7 minutes in a tea cup (any longer your tea will become bitter).
- Heat the half and half and hot cocoa mix in a saucepan.
- Add the warmed chocolate milk mixture to the steeped black tea.
- Stir well and sip carefully.
4 Things About Boba Bubbles You Need To Know
- Boba needs to be soaked to add flavor to them. In this recipe the boba is soaked in black tea and hot cocoa so it takes on the chocolate flavors in this tea.
- Make your boba right before you want to make your bubble tea. This is so they have the best texture and flavor. Boba tends to harden over time.
- Never store boba in the refrigerator because they will get hard and really tough to eat. Use them immediately or throw any leftovers away.
- Boba pearls are large and will not pass through regular straws. Grab yourself a few boba straws, I recommend these.
Fun Chocolate Milk Tea Variations:
- Add a tablespoon of peppermint simple syrup to make it a Chocolate Peppermint Milk Tea!
- Drizzle chocolate sauce on the inside of your glass and overtop of the bubble milk tea
- Top it off with whipped cream or a sweet cream
- Add mini marshmallows
- Dust the top of your milk tea with unsweetened cocoa or cinnamon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Yes because black tea has caffeine in it. You can always buy decaffeinated if you prefer this milk tea to not have caffeine in it. This change will make no flavor difference by the way.
You can purchase them on Amazon (not an affiliate link to earn money). You can also check your ethnic food aisle for them, I have seen them on a few occasions but they are definitely harder to track down in the stores. Be sure to buy quick cook boba too!
More Indulgent Chocolate Recipes To Try:
- Chocolate Filled Cookies
- Not So Sweet Chocolate Buttercream
- Chocolate Orange Cake for Two
- Ferrero Rocher Brownies
- Blondie Brownies
- Campfire Brownie Smores
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
Chocolate Milk Tea
For Black Tea
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 bag black tea; 2 if you want a stronger flavor
For Chocolate Boba Bubbles; optional
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup bobas; tapioca pearls or bubbles (quick cook variety)
- 2 tablespoons dry hot cocoa mix;
- 2 tablespoons black tea; taken from prepared amount
How to Make Black Tea
- Pour boiling water over tea bag(s) in a heat-proof glass. Allow it to steep for 5 to 7 minutes before removing the tea bag(s).
How to Make Chocolate Boba Bubbles
- Boil the water and add boba. Cook according to package instructions.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of dry hot cocoa mix and 2 tablespoons of black tea with the boiled boba. Allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes.
COLD Chocolate Bubble Tea or Boba Tea
- To a glass add the half and half and remaining dry hot cocoa mix. Use a milk frother to whip the two together until well combined. You can also shake it in a jar and get the same result.
- To another glass add the prepared chocolate boba (optional), ice, cooled to room temperature black tea, and chocolate milk mixture.
- Stir well with a boba tea straw and drink.
HOT Chocolate Milk Tea
- In a saucepan add the half and half and remaining dry hot cocoa mix. Heat over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat.
- To a tea cup or mug, add the prepared boba (optional), hot black tea, and warmed chocolate milk mixture.
- Stir together and drink!
If you make my Chocolate Milk Tea, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!