I have got another quick and easy dinner recipe for you! Perfectly crisp, Baked Cajun Chicken Thighs and cauliflower topped with a fresh and herbaceous Chimichurri sauce.
This dinner recipe has minimal prep work, is quick and easy, plus it is a cheap dinner with tons of flavor!
Chicken is always a go-to in our house, especially when I am lost on what to make for dinner. I love this recipe because (1) there is a minimal amount of prep work, (2) it is quick and easy to make, (3) it is a cheap dinner.
Not to mention, the spicy Cajun seasoning adds the right amount of flavor to the chicken and cauliflower while the Chimichurri adds a bright note.
- Chicken thighs – I use rinsed, skin on, bone in thighs. I also like to trim the skin that is on the underside of the chicken thighs.
- Cauliflower florets – Keeping these larger than normal is key or your cauliflower will be overcooked and mushy.
- Olive oil – Don’t be shy when using the olive oil, it helps your food brown and create a toasty flavor.
- Unsalted Butter – This is to keep your chicken thighs from drying out; it will melt and coat the chicken thighs as it bakes.
- Cajun seasoning blend – The source of spicy delicious flavor. My favorite brand is Slap Ya Mama original blend!
- Chimichurri – The fresh bright note needed to elevate the dish.
- Baking Sheet: You will need one large in size so there is a lot of room to bake both the chicken and cauliflower. I love these ones because they are versatile, great quality, and come in 3 different sizes with wire racks.
- Food Processor: Used for blending up the perfect Chimichurri. I love my 3.5 cup KitchenAid for the motor strength and price point.
Toss and Bake! Done in 30 Minutes!
Preheat your oven to 450° F. You may be wondering, why so hot? Well, the higher temperature will cook your chicken and cauliflower fast without drying it out. It also gives everything a crispier texture.
TIP: Do not use parchment paper because the heat is a little too high for it. If you need, spray your baking sheet with nonstick spray or use tin foil.
Place your cauliflower and chicken thighs on your sheet pan. Pour the olive oil over everything and coat evenly. I use my hands but you can do this however you want. Mix together your Cajun/ spices and sprinkle evenly over your olive oil coated chicken and cauliflower. Lastly, place a pat of butter on top of each chicken thigh.
Place it in oven for thirty minutes total (flip your cauliflower halfway through). Remove it from the oven and allow to rest for five minutes.
TIP: If you do not like spice you can use cumin and garlic (it goes great with Chimichurri).
What is Chimichurri? How Do I Make It?
Chimichurri is an herby and tangy sauce packed with flavor. It has fresh parsley, oregano, garlic, salt, Chili powder, olive oil and red wine vinegar. It is the perfect partner to the spicy chicken and cauliflower. All you do is pulse together the parsley, oregano, garlic, and spices (don’t over do it). Finally stir to combine the oil and vinegar. Spoon the Chimichurri over top of both the chicken and the cauliflower or put on the side as a dipping sauce.
TIP: Cover and place in the refrigerator for two hours so it can meld and develop a deeper flavor. Be sure to stir it prior to spooning over your chicken thighs and cauliflower.
Can I Use Other Cuts of Chicken?
Other cuts of chicken can be used in this recipe but it does make it a bit tricky. It will affect your baking time and how large you need to cut your cauliflower. Keep in mind, we want everything to bake in the same amount of time as the chicken. Here are some examples:
- Boneless chicken breasts – 20 to 25 minutes. Cauliflower should be cut in smaller bite sized florets.
- Bone in drumsticks – 20 to 25 minutes. Cauliflower should be cut in smaller bite sized florets.
- Bone in chicken breasts – 30 to 40 minutes. Cauliflower should be cut in larger than bite sized florets.
- Bone in chicken leg quarters – 30 to 40 minutes. Cauliflower should be cut in larger than bite sized florets.
TIP: Internal temperature should reach 155°F to 160°F and then allow the chicken to sit and continue to cook until it reaches a final internal temperature of 165°F.
Looking For More Quick and Inexpensive Dinner Recipes? Try These:
- Cheesy Greek Yogurt Chicken
- Rosemary and Thyme Chicken
- Garlic Basil Chicken
- Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Sliders
- Chicken Alfredo Soup with Tortellini
- Baked Cod Fish Sliders
- Cheesy Ground Beef Sliders
- Smoked Pork Butt
- Pulled Pork Sliders
- Pesto Crusted Salmon
- Browse all the easy meals here!
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
Cajun Chicken and Cauliflower with Chimichurri
Cajun Chicken and Cauliflower
- 4 chicken thighs - bone in with skin
- 1 head cauliflower - broken into large florets
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning - I use Slap Ya Moma
- 2 teaspoons 21 Season Salute - found at Trader Joe's
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup parsley leaves - fresh
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano - 2 tablespoons of fresh oregano if you have it.
- 1 tablespoon garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Chili powder
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
Baking the Cajun Chicken and Cauliflower
- Preheat your oven to 450° F and center the rack in the middle of your oven. Spray a large sheet pan or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place cauliflower and chicken thighs on your sheet pan. Pour olive oil over everything and coat evenly.
- In a small bowl mix together your salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, and 21 Season Salute. Sprinkle over your olive oil coated chicken and cauliflower. Toss together until evenly coated.
- Add 1 teaspoon of butter to the top of each chicken thigh.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes total. Halfway through flip your cauliflower to promote even browning.
- Once removed from the oven allow your chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
Blending the Chimichurri
- To a food processor add your parsley, oregano, garlic, salt, and Chili powder. Chop until blended but not completely pulverized.
- Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Stir until incorporated.
- Serve Chimichurri over both the Cajun chicken and cauliflower.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to three days. Keep the Chimichurri separate from your chicken and cauliflower.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.