Why This Is The BEST Turtle Pie Recipe
Watch Me Make It In Under 30 Seconds:
Turtle Pie Ingredients
Although this Turtle Pie recipe is multiple layers of flavor, it is only 8 easy ingredients. The simpler the better, am I right? Below are a few notes on each ingredients and potential substitutions.
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer: I prefer my hand mixer with beater attachment for the caramel cream filling and the whisk attachment for the whipped cream.
- Pie Plate: I know, I know… premade pie crust comes in aluminum. I still like to place my pies in a glass pie plate. It makes it so much easier to move/handle and cut for serving. I usually have to tape the crust to the pie plate.
- Pie Storage Container: I linked my favorite one below. It has an insert making it easy to lift pies and cakes in and out of the container.
How to Make A Turtle Pie
1. MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM: In a mixing bowl whip the heavy cream until soft peaks. Add the powdered sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks. If the whipped cream is too loose it will affect the consistency so really make sure it is whipped to stiff peaks.
2. CARAMEL CREAM FILLING: Start by beating together the cream cheese, caramel sauce, and vanilla extract. Once the mixture is smooth add and combine in the whipped cream. Pour the caramel cream filling into your pecan crust and smooth it out. Refrigerate your pie as you make the ganache.
3. MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE: Heat the heavy whipping cream until a light simmer, not boiling. Place the chocolate chips into a measuring cup and pour the warmed cream over top. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Whisk the cream and chocolate together until it is smooth and no lumps of chocolate remain.
4. POUR the chocolate ganache over the chilled caramel cream and smooth it out.
5. DECORATE PIE with a drizzle of caramel sauce, chopped pecans, whipped cream, and more pecan halves. Feel free to decorate in any fashion to prefer. If you like the shape of my whipped cream, this is the piping tip I used.
6. REFRIGERATE PRIOR TO SERVING: I like to chill my no bake Turtle Pie at least 4 hours and up to overnight. This helps to meld and amplify the flavors. It is not essential but recommended.
7. SLICE your pie into 8 equal pieces and serve frozen, refrigerated, or at room temperature.
This no bake Turtle Pie should always be stored in an airtight container or covered well with plastic wrap. It can be refrigerated for up to 7 days or frozen for up to 3 months. This pie can also be made 2 days prior to serving which makes it great for prepping dessert for parties and holidays.
If you are freezing the pie for more than a day, I do recommend leaving the toppings off until you are ready to serve it. This includes the adding caramel drizzle, chopped pecans, and whipped cream topping. Feel free to thaw your pie overnight and in the refrigerator or enjoy from frozen.
How to Make a Homemade Pecan Crust
If you prefer to make your own pecan crust, it is quite easy… and no bake! All you will need is 6 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter and 1 1/2 cups of ground pecan crumbs.
Combine the two together until all the crumbs are moistened. Pour that into your 9″ pie plate and press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and sides until adhered. Refrigerate your pecan crust for 30 minutes (or freeze for 15 minutes) prior to filling.
Tips & Variations
- TAKE A SHORT CUT to save on time and use store-bought tub whipped cream. I like using TruWhip the best because it is natural, without hydrogenated oils and corn syrup, and preservative free (not sponsored). It also doesn’t have a weird mouth feel after eating it.
- USE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF CRUST like graham cracker crust, chocolate cookie crust, shortbread cookie crust, or an Oreo crust.
- TOP IT HOW YOU WANT: use chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, homemade caramels, make it without whipped cream for an easier pie, create a cute design with halved pecans. The possibilities are endless!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
More No Bake Cheesecake Based Recipes You’ll LOVE:
No Bake Turtle Pie
- stand mixer or hand mixer - with whisk attachment and beater attachment
- 1 9" pecan crust; - I used this one by Diamond. Instructions for homemade pecan crust below.
- 8 ounces cream cheese - room temperature
- 1 ½ cup caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream - cold
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
Toppings for Decorating
- ¼ cup caramel sauce; - for drizzling
- ½ cup pecans - chopped, halves, or both
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream - cold
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Using a hand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy whipping cream on high until it reaches soft peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks and it is a stable whipped cream. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add the room temperature cream cheese, caramel sauce, and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture using a hand mixer fitted with the beater attachment until smooth.
- Add the prepared whipped cream to the caramel mixture and beat until combined and smooth.
- Pour the caramel cream into the prepared pecan crust. Refrigerate and move on.
- Heat the heavy whipping cream until it is warm and begins to simmer. NOTE: This takes 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave or 3 to 5 minutes on the stove top over medium heat.
- While the cream is warming, place the semi sweet chocolate chips into a medium sized, heat safe, measuring cup.
- Pour the warmed heavy whipping cream over top of the semi sweet chocolate chips. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Using a spoon, stir until the mixture becomes smooth and no lumps of chocolate remain.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the chilled pie. Smooth it out until it is in an even layer. NOTE: The chilled pie will cool the ganache quickly preventing any melting of the caramel cream layer.
Toppings for Decorating
- Drizzle additional caramel sauce over the cooled ganache layer.
- Top with pecans (chopped, halves, or a combination of the two).
- Prepare more whipped cream to use as topping on the pie, using the same instructions above. "Using a hand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy whipping cream on high until it reaches soft peaks. Add the powdered sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks and it is a stable whipped cream. Set aside."
- Top pie with dollops of whipped cream or place the prepared whipped cream in a piping bag fitted with preferred piping tip (I used this one). Pipe the whipped cream on top of your pie.
- Slice the Turtle Pie in 8 equal sized pieces. Serve pie refrigerated (my favorite), frozen, or at room temperature. OPTIONAL: Refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to overnight. This step helps to meld together and amplify the flavors.
- Refrigerated, in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap, up to 7 days.
- Frozen, in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap, up to 3 months. I recommend leaving off the toppings until you are ready to serve your pie. Thaw frozen pie or pie slices in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prepare this pie no more than 2 days prior to serving for best results.
How To Make Pecan Crust:
- INGREDIENTS: 6 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter and 1 1/2 cups of ground pecan crumbs.
- DIRECTIONS: Combine the two together until all the crumbs are moistened. Pour that into your 9″ pie plate and press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and sides until adhered. Refrigerate your pecan crust for 30 minutes (or freeze for 15 minutes) prior to filling.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
If you make my No Bake Turtle Pie recipe, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!