This Low Carb Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is the reduced guilt version of a comfort food favorite. It is creamy, cheesy, and filled with chicken and broccoli deliciousness. There is a hit of Cajun seasoning which adds the spice this casserole never knew it needed. Have it on the dinner table in under an hour!
Low Carb Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
One of the most difficult things about being a food blogger is the amount of food that is always in the refrigerator. I know it’s an oxymoron! But between recipe testing and eating what I make, I feel as if I am continually eating food. Right now my refrigerator has a cream cheese dip, pie, cinnamon rolls, and cookie bars. Crazy right?!
With that being said, I like to make dishes that are healthy and balanced for dinner. Last week I was craving chicken and broccoli casserole but did not want all the calories and sodium so I created this recipe. I subbed out the high calorie fats, added more broccoli, kept the cheese (I could not deprive myself), and added some spice!
- Flour – This makes the sauce thick. Alternatively you can use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Cajun Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Milk – I used plantmilk but you can other non-dairy varieties, skim milk, or whatever you have on hand.
- Broccoli Florets – I have only made this recipe with frozen broccoli because it cuts down on time. You can use fresh or frozen because they should be cooked prior to adding into your sauce.
- Non-Fat Greek Yogurt – This adds wonderful creaminess and tang. Sour cream can be used as a substitute.
- Low-Fat Mayonnaise – I do not recommend subbing this out because the mayonnaise gives it so much flavor. But, if you have to I recommend replacing it with Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Cheddar Cheese
Keep in mind any alterations you make to the original recipe will change affect the flavors, nutritional information, and potentially the cook/bake times.
How Do You Make Low Carb Chicken and Broccoli Casserole?
Preheat your oven to 350° F and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large saucepan sauté your onion until soft and translucent. Next add your chicken and sauté it until it is fully cooked. Sprinkle the flour, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper over your chicken mixture. This is going to help thicken the sauce once you add in the milk.
Slowly add in your milk while continually stirring and bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to reduce and become thick or you will have a runny casserole. Next, add in your cooked broccoli, yogurt, mayonnaise, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
Pour it into your greased baking dish and top the casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
Bake your Low Carb Chicken and Broccoli Casserole uncovered for 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
What Should I Serve With It?
Because this casserole has a healthy helping of broccoli, it technically does not need a side dish.
Traditionally it is served with white rice and that is what I like to do. I know, I know, rice is not reduced guilt or low carb. But everything in moderation right?!
Alternatively, you can serve it with cauliflower rice, a fresh garden salad, and other veggies to keep it on the “good side.”
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to subscribe to my weekly newsletter for fun NEW CONTENT and CONVERSATION delivered to your inbox. If you love this recipe save it now so you can find it later. Thank you for your support!
Low Carb Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 3 cups uncooked chicken - cubed
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk; - I used plantmilk but you can use any kind that is low in fat
- 2 cups broccoli florets - from frozen and cooked
- ¾ cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat Mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F and center the oven rack. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan sauté the onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and fully cook, about 10 minutes. Cover with the flour, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until the flour is cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the milk while continually stirring. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow it to reduce until thick, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked broccoli, yogurt, mayonnaise, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir until combined.
- Transfer to the greased baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Serve with either riced cauliflower or white rice.
- Covered and in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- In the freezer, constructed and not baked, for up to 3 months.
- If refrigerated, bring the casserole to room temperature and bake covered with aluminum foil at 300° F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator. Bake at 350° F for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
If you make my Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, don’t forget to leave this recipe a rating, comment, or like. Tag me on social media using the hashtag #EntirelyElizabeth when sharing your own personal photos making this recipe. I would love to see your version and know your thoughts!